Chocolate is one of the most popular sweet treats around the world and it is no wonder that chocolate production is a true giant in the food industry. An estimated 7.2 million tonnes of chocolate are consumed worldwide each year.
If you too are a fan of this delicacy and are troubled by a guilty conscience after indulging, especially because of your slim line, you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself. In fact, it turns out that a reasonable amount of really good quality chocolate can even do you good, as chocolate contains a surprising amount of positive substances. According to some research, there are as many as 300 of them, and work is still being done to extract the most effective ones.
Protecting the brain and heart
Quality chocolate containing at least 70 to 80% cocoa, when consumed regularly, has the potential to reduce the risk of stroke and cardiovascular disease, according to a recent scientific study. Just eat a piece of chocolate twice a week. The reduction in the risk of these serious diseases due to chocolate is not marginal, but between 30% and 40%.
Almost miraculous effects
You might not think that a piece of chocolate can help with a headache. This is helped by chocolate’s ability to trigger the production of endorphins and serotonin.
Among the many remarkable substances that chocolate contains are
- caffeine and theobromine, which have stimulating effects and give the body energy
- vitamin B and theobromine, respectively. Several representatives of the B group, which support the nervous system and also metabolism
- vitamin E, which has a positive effect on the immune system
- iron, which is necessary to support blood formation
- copper, which protects the heart and blood vessels and regulates blood clotting
- magnesium, which promotes mental and emotional balance and prevents cramps
- potassium, which relieves hypertension, and
- flavonoids, which protect the vascular system and heart.
Don’t give up chocolate
As you can see, quality chocolate is a real cocktail of substances important for human health. Some nutritionists even refer to it as a superfood. It should not be completely abandoned, not only because of its composition, but also because eating it also makes people feel satisfied and happy. We just need to eat chocolate in moderation and choose chocolate that is not just full of sugar.